how to change last name

Yet another oh-so-fun task after your wedding is to change your last name legally – just because it is on your marriage certificate doesn’t make it official! You will need to wait until after you have received your marriage certificate to start the process, but once you have – it is off to the races.

You will first need to apply for a new Social Security Card by filling out the SS-5 form – mail it or bring it in to the offices (make an appointment to avoidwaiting)with certified copies of your ID and marriage certificate. You can expect your new card in 1-2 weeks.

Next is your driver’s license. Make an appointment, unless you want to wait around with 100 of your closest friends, at your local DMV! You will need to complete the DL44 or DL44C form, give a thumbprint, have a new picture taken, and pay the fee of $27 in California. You will absolutely need to present your new Social Security Card and your marriage certificate as proofof your new name, so be sure to bring it! Ensure that your address is correct, as it will be mailed to you within 60 days.

Other items to change:

  • Passport – be sure to do this with no travel plans pending, your passport will need to match the name in which the reservation was made.
  • US Postal Service
  • Professional Agencies
  • Bank and any Lenders
  • Utility Providers
  • Medial Professionals and Insurers

Overwhelmed yet? Tackling this process on your own is completely do-able, but if you feel like you need some help visit sites like for a set-by-step solution to the name changing process!

Photo source credit: nametag


The Ladies of Intertwined Events

P: 949.748.8786 E:

See what’s inspiring us on Pinterest, Facebook & Twitter

We are proud to announce that Intertwined has won “The Knot Best of Weddings” and Wedding Wire’s “Bride’s Choice Award” for 2011, 2012 & 2013!