As the weather gets warmers, the nights get longer, and holidays range from Memorial Day to Father’s Day to 4th of July there are plenty of reasons to host any number of summer shindigs. Here are some ideas to make your party planning glow like the summer sun:
1. Get outside – there is no need to be indoors when the weather is so nice. Plan a picnic. Pull out the umbrellas and blankets. The beach, park, lake, or even your backyard is calling! Just opening up the doors so the party can move freely from inside to out can be just the right touch of summer sunshine
2. Everything is better grilled – from grilled Caesar salads to chicken kabobs to grilled peaches for dessert everything tastes better on a grill so get outside (see #1) and get grillin! Plus you can prepare and marinade everything the night before the event – oh I love anything I can do ahead of time!
3. Flavored Ice Cubes – Cold drinks are a must-have to quench your thirst and to keep cool but you don’t want to water down that Sassy Sangria or perfectly tart lemonade. Using ice trays (in fun shapes from flowers to stars – see Ikea for inexpensive examples) freeze some of the beverage ahead of time to create flavored ice to keep the beverages chilled without losing their punch! Speaking of drinks…
4. Use the Fruits of the Season – whether for a fruity cocktail deserving of a bright umbrella garnish or a fun punch for the kids be sure to use the fresh berries and citrus that abound as an element of every concoction. Sliced citrus also makes for a beautiful and bright addition to centerpieces and water pitchers
5. Flowers Taste as Good as They Look – use beautiful and bright edible flowers to garnish everything from those fruity drinks (see #4) to salads and cupcake toppers. Flowers aren’t just for centerpieces any more.
What are you favorite summer entertaining tricks. Share them here!
Photo Credit: Martha Stewart courtesy of KimVallee.com